Skip to main content

No-one



No-one making any noise. 

No-one wanting to know if they can have more cereal.

No-one asking if they can play with the neighbour boy who has ADHD and wants to marry them.

No-one exuding a cacophony of cries and spluttering after hitting their hand on a bedside table.

No-one walking beside me who can't rid themselves of the hiccups.

No-one asking "Daddeee..." (drawn out for full emphasis and to gain maximum attention), "...if the moon fell to earth, but landed on a spring factory, would it bounce away further than when it started?", a question to which "Daddeee" simply doesn't have a reply through both astonishment and stupidity.

No-one alleviating my pangs of guilt after standing on a snail by telling me "It doesn't matter. That was Larry the Snail and he didn't really do anything anyway".

No-one being grumpy because 9.00 pm is too early for bed and they aren't tired and it's still daytime in American anyway, despite being unable to keep their eyes open after reading detective stories. 

No-one needing me to blow-dry their hair after they've had a shower. 

No-one telling me that they CANNOT STAND Barry Scott (yes, Cillit Bang Barry Scott). 

No-one crashing through the bedroom door at midnight for a cuddle because they think it's already morning. 

No-one wanting to go to the Disney Store.

No-one stopping me from working until 9.30 pm because I have something better to do. 

No-one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idiots on a Plane

I've been fortunate enough to have had a column published on gizmodo.co.uk. It can be found here: http://m.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/the-idiosyncrasies-and-character-flaws-flying-brings-out-in-me/ Many thanks to Kat Hannaford for throwing it on the front page.

My daughter knows me so well.

Last week, I was out with my daughter and some friends and my daughter decided to draw everyone's picture and give it to them as a present. Most of them were really, really good.  This was mine: I can't decide whether this is how she sees me and she thinks I should confess that I have messed a lot of things up, or whether she simply messed the drawing up.

Evolution makes me look like a dick

Over the course a billions of years, evolutionary biology has worked such that Humans are one of the only known mammals to ambulate in a bipedal fashion, which is to say we prefer, if at all possible, to trudge around using only two peds (pronounced "peeds", "ped" being the latin for "the end of your legs"). This gives us a feeling of massive superiority over all the other species, who have their faces close to the ground smelling who-knows-what, getting all of their limbs dirty. Meanwhile, we have our heads held high. That said, and I would never dream to question evolution, it's an absolute bastard to walk in the snow. The entire notion of bipedal motion (which sounds like a very poor Lil' Wayne lyric, I know), the balanced required, shifting weight from front to back, is all based on the idea that when you put one of your peds on the floor, it stays in the same spot where you put it. It doesn't move two inches forward, shifting your bod